Re: DNS calls....

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 08:22:45AM -0000, Jerzy Miszczyk wrote:
> Hello Jeremy,
>
> Thank you for the response.
> I am sorry for brief description of the problem. There is no diald
> installed, the system runs straight forward "isdnutils". Something keeps
> the line up. Every few minutes there is a call to a broadcast address and
> port 138, or a call to a DNS server :(. There is no broadcast specified in

Port 138 is the netbios datagram service - I.e. Samba or windows sharing.
Have you got samba running? Or a windows machine on the network?
If so, you probably want to change your diald config to ignore stuff
on port 138 (i.e. don't bother bringing up the line because of it) - or
even better use ipchains to block it from going out in the first place.

> network configuration for ippp0 (my ISDN interface). I would like to be
> able to see "who" initiates" those calls.
>
> Best regards
> "Jersey"

<snip>

--
*DISCLAIMER* I do not know exactly what I'm talking about. Large grains of
salt recommended to aid in digestion.