Re: sendmail&smart host

On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, Martin Tanzer wrote:

> > > I changed in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc:
> > >
> > > OSTYPE(mklinux)dnl
> >
> > while ( ! nauseated ) { print "Don't do this" };
>
> hmmm. Why?

sigh, I'm sorry - I hate it when people do that to me...  I meant to
come back and fill that in before hitting `send' (too much
multi-tasking, not enough swap space).

Executive summary:
OSTYPE(xxx) is where paths/directories specific to an OS are defined.
Using the wrong xxx is recipe for disaster.

The longer version:
OSTYPE(debian) is eventually going away, but for the nonce, it contains
a boatload of stuff specific to the Debian build of sendmail - the most
important of which are the paths to files/directories used by sendmail.

Now, some of those paths are compiled into sendmail, and some aren't -
in general, leaving out an entry isn't too bad, but putting one in will
override the compiled in defaults.

The net effect, is that mklinux (and others) defines files/dirs to be
in places that probably aren't built by the Debian package !  The
results range from harmless to catastrophic - depending upon which
file/dir is mismarked.

Does that make more sense?
--
Rick Nelson
Techical solutions are not a matter of voting. Two legislations in the US