Re: Linux and Frame Relay.

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 11:08:09AM -0800, Simon Tennant wrote:
> We've finally had our T3 circuit installed and I've built 2 routers based
> the Lanmedia T3 pci cards.
>
> I'm stuck configuring the frame relay portion of the circuit. PSInet's
> given us a local IP address, remote router address, subnet mask and a DLCI
> number (597) for frame relay.  The T3 interface shows up has hdlc0, and
> I've tried ifconfig'ing it but unable to see the pings that they are
> sending us or see replies to pings we send out.
>
> Where does the frame relay number com into the picture? What does this
> number mean?

I haven't configured zillions of DS-3s, but it's my understanding that
many providers use frame relay as the layer-2 protocol rather than
ppp.  My experience is with UUNet.

The Dlci identifies one end of a virtual circuit; it's similar to the
VPI/VCI in ATM.  Dlci whatever on the provider's end and Dlci 597 on
your end form a virtual circuit.  Each end of the virtual circuit get
an IP address (this really depends on the type of frame relay but is
true in this case so let's not go there :)

So, the question is: does Linux and the Lanmedia DS-3 card support
frame relay?  If not, you're not going to have much luck getting this
circuit up.

Micromuse Inc.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.