Re: unusal fetchmail error

Hello Kozman

On 24 Jan 2001, at 12:04, Kozman Balint wrote:

> The problem is with fetchmail: sometimes when it gets defunct after
> downloading messages, it becomes a Zombie, and some minutes later when the
> new instance of fetchmail comes up, it stops working 'cos "another
> fetchmail is running in background" and this way users don't get their
> mails.

I have seen something similar.  I ended up putting "killall fetchmail"
in the diald ip-up script, for our sites that insist on using fetchmail.

This script is called when the server was "off-line" and goes "on-
line".  The dial-up is on a dynamic IP, so even if there was a
fetchmail process hanging around trying to suck mail from
somewhere I don't think it could be achieving anything useful at this
stage.  Anyway it got rid of the stuck downloads.

This is a terrible hack.  The problem should be sorted out within
fetchmail (if it has not been done already), but I never bothered to
look at it as we do not normally use POP3/fetchmail.  We prefer
uucp for our intermittently connected mail servers.

If the bug has been fixed, can somebody let me know from which
version of the *.deb file was it sorted out.  I would like to get rid of
that hack one day.

Ian Forbes

Ian Forbes ZSD
http://www.zsd.co.za
Office: +27 +21 683-1388  Fax: +27 +21 64-1106
Snail Mail: P.O. Box 46827, Glosderry, 7702, South Africa