Re: Swapping activated while RAID reconstruction in progress

Michael,

Thanks for the help, and the promptness.

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Michael Bilow wrote:

> I do not subscribe to "debian-isp," so my reply may be rejected.

Came through.

> As far as I know, swapping is turned on when "swapon" is invoked from
> /etc/init.d/checkroot.sh or /etc/init.d/mountall.sh.  The fix for the bug
> I reported was to wrap the "swapon" command in a check for whether
> "resync" appears in /proc/mdstat, and it looks to me as if the fix in
> Potato should be effective.

Yes, in checkroot.sh

> Standard Debian rescue disks do not, I think, have kernels with the v0.90
> software RAID patches.  It is certainly possible to make one, but this is
> something of a special situation and, if you are using v0.90 RAID, then
> you are outside the scope of what Debian supports out of the box.  As a
> quick hack, you can replace the kernel on a standard rescue floppy with a
> custom kernel, although this could desynchronize the modules; if you do
> not need modules to access the disk with that custom kernel, this could be
> enough to allow you to do what you want.  Once booted on a rescue disk
> with a kernel that has v0.90 RAID support, you can conventionally mount
> the hard drive partition that usually serves as your root filesystem onto
> some convenient place, such as /mnt, and hand-edit configuration files in
> /mnt/etc/init.d.  Alternatively, you could allow the resync to take place
> and complete while booted on the custom kernel, and then reboot normally.

Tried that now, see below.

> If you are absolutely desperate, you could try booting from the hard drive
> using a boot prompt argument which specifies a shell as the grandfather
> process instead of init as usual; something like "Linux init=/bin/bash"
> ought to do it.  This would bypass login and init processing, which would
> therefore bypass /etc/init.d and /etc/rc?.d processing where swapping is
> ordinarily turned on, allowing your v0.90 RAID resync to complete.

I am using v0.90.

I tried this first, but got the same error, on the kernel not being able
to mount the root partition.

I then used the Debain install CD to "install" on my /dev/hdb5 which I
use as a place to store backup .tar files.  No network configured, just
installed "base".

Rebooted with old kernel, root=/dev/hdb5 .  The md devices were detected
and picked up, resync started.

resync ended 10 minutes later.

Now I have md0 (hda2 & hdb2)
md1 (hda3 & hdb3)

md1 is swap, and I can now (old kernel, root=/dev/hdb5) use it as swap, so
I am sure the signature, etc, is OK.  Howeever, I donot have an
/etc/raidtab file yet, is this OK?  I think 0.90 persistent superblock
does not require this?  /proc/mdstat shows md0 as 2 disks (2/2), but md1
as only 1 (/dev/hdb3).  I am reading up on the raidtools2 package.

md0 does not seem to be a e2fs fs, however.  e2fsck says bad superblock,
even a -b 8193.
	dd if=/dev/md0 | strings | less
shows recognisable stuff, so I am sure that the /dev/md0 is the correct
disks.

Waht other tools, except e2fsck and dumpe2fs, are available?

Thanks, again
--
Sanjeev "ghane" Gupta                    Mob: +65 98551208
dotXtra Pte Ltd                          Fax: +65 2275776