Re: ADSL modems that work in linux ??

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 03:32:08PM -0800, Simon Tennant wrote:
> Unless I'm missing something, running the ADSL nic in your firewall
> instead of as a seperate ethernet device saves you allocating each a
> unique address.

Nope, it may save on overhead if it doesn't use PPPoE (but it still
might have to use PPPoA).   But you don't allocate an IP address to each
device, as I said, PPPoE writes to the ethernet interface rawly.  Only
the PPP device has an IP address and it's more of a pseudo device.
--
Jeremy Lunn
Melbourne, Australia