Re: ADSL modems that work in linux ??

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 18:54:40 +1300, Daniel Free writes:
>         short of this what other adsl options to people know of other than
>buying an ADSL router ?? ie other modem setups, USB or whatever.

here in .at the telco supplies external adsl-modems which connect to
your equipment via PPTP/ethernet. they are not exactly routers, but
rather function as a kind of bridge...while this method being *far*
from optimal there are pptp-clients for linux and they work (I´m
writing this over such a connection ;) ), AFAIR the modems can also do
PPPoE, but the telco doesn´t support this (yet).

manufacturer is Alcatel, my model (for adsl/isdn) is called a
"SpeedTouch 1000 ADSL", look at
http://www.alcatel.com/consumer/dsl/supuser.htm , maybe you can find
something there which fits your needs.

hth,
&rw
--
/  Ing. Robert Waldner  | Network Engineer | T: +43 1 89933  F: x533 \
\ <Waldner@KPNQwest.at> |    KPNQwest/AT   | Diefenbachg. 35, A-1150 /