Re: Debian vs. freeBSD

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Debian Ghost wrote:

> Hey All,
> I know I've been causing a lot of mail on the list lately, but I hope to
> get a good response out of this one too. My manager has asked me to write
> a proposal on installing Debian or FreeBSD on a few servers here that will
> be used (internally to the company- i.e- non production) for basic
> services such as NFS, mail, apache (backing a request tracker ticketing
> system), internal DNS and ftp services. I've been using
> debian for about a year and a half and have used freeBSD for a few months
> back in 1998 before laying it aside for linux. From my experiences I
> can't really see why one would be superior to the other if configured
> properly. Do any of you as debian-ispers have any opinions of things I
> could list in the proposal?
>
> Thanks for the time. This is the best list I've seen in quite some time as
> everyone is curtious and non FLAMEboyant :)
>
> Kindly,
>
> Ashby Gochenour
> NTELOS
> NOC

Well, I would say go with what you know the best. As you will most likely
run the exact same programs, but compiled for your system, you can always
change later if you find any problems. As far as I know FreeBSD is
supposedly a tad sharper with very heavy load, but Linux supports more
hardware and can be easier to start with.

Regards
Roger Abrahamsson

Roger Abrahamsson, Sys/Net Admin, Obbit AB
Radhusespl.17D, S-90328 Umea, Sweden