Making dhcpd provide hostname to clients

I'm having trouble getting dhcpd to provide a hostname to clients when
granting leases.  I've set the "get-lease-hostnames" directive to true,
and it appears that dhcpd does a DNS lookup on its range at startup (at
least, when I had some addresses in the range that didn't have DNS
entries, it complained).  But when the client (dhcpcd with the "-HD"
switches set) obtains a lease, it logs a "server did not provide hostname"
error (or something like that; unfortunately I'm going from memory) and
the hostname field in the dhcpcd info file remains empty.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

John Ackermann
jra@febo.com