Re: identd + SOCKS

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Marcin Owsiany wrote:

| > There exists many irc "bounce" programs that may accomplish what you
| > need. Such as ezbounce, bnc, etc.
|
| But do they work with ident? Unfortunately running such a
| bounce program for each of the client box is not an option for
| me.
|
| regards,
|
| Marcin

No, perhaps you should read how the bounce programs, to get a better idea
of how they work. I envision this setup doing what you need:

Your "bounce" server has a secured LAN side, and an unfiltered (ie, not
behind the SOCKS/proxy) server side.

You run bnc or ezbounce on this box.

Your customers connect to the bounce box, which is running the
daemon. This box allows them access to the outside world, bouncing the IRC
connection. The box itself runs an identd daemon, and the bounce
daemon. Your regular users run any IRC program they wish, such as MIRC,
etc.

--
John Gonzalez / johng@netmdc.com / johng@tularosa.net
Tularosa Communications, Inc. (505) 439-0200 voice / (505) 443-1228 fax