Re: DSL

tps@unslept.com wrote:
On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 07:42:35AM -0800, Duane Powers wrote:
Is he going to be using static ip's?

Yup. It's for his business.

I don't know of any ISP that will perform the routing nescessary for
this for DSL customers (not enough revenue.

If he is just using dynamic ip's, and running something like a linux
router (ipchains, masq, et al:) then he could *conceivably* do it, but
since you then ask about BGP.

The rules for BGP specify a multi-homed connection (at least 2 different
providers) and most ISP's want you to have at least a /24 before they'll
run BGP with you, My ISP charges $BIG_BUCKS for the setup, due to the
very nature of bgp. Quite frankly, that won't be an option.

I never thought of that. My current primary upstream (verio) had no
problem with just sending me full routes.

PMI (pardon my ignorance) but, are you multi-homed? if not, then what exactly is bgp doing for you? if you only have the one route.  (through verio) how is bgp different than a static route?

Also, in order to run BGP, you need a router that will do it. (most
often a CISCO, but you can do it with a linux box.)

Right. I'm using a Linux box with an SDL N2 board, and running Zebra

IMHO, Look at the prices for two "business class DSL" services, then
compare that to the T1, not as large a difference for the level of
service... and remember, T-1 is 1.544M, synchronous, DSL is "up to" 1.5M
download, 128K upload. HUGE difference.

Well, around here, SDSL 1.5/1.5 Mb with a full /24 runs about $350/mo.
Most local providers, us included, charge about $1000/mo for a full T1,
and then you have the local loop charge. That's not cheap either.

Tim
Well, I'm in the bay area of California, where you are offerred 1.5/128 ADSL for 329 a month with a /28.
Our regions look quite dissimilar. hm.