Re: your mail

On Wed, 27 Dec 2000, Jeremy Lunn wrote:

> About this whole issue of chrooting the user's environment.  I think
> there is not too much point.

.. unless of course, the client demands it!

> A chroot is to prevent users gaining root,

Not exactly.  It has little to do with root privileges; but a lot to do
with what is considered to be the root directory.

>   By chrooting them you are just
> replicating your whole system in their home directory.

Not entirely.  Once only in the restricted area for all users of
that area.  (But I would certainly agree that it's a major pita
working out all the little utilities they suddenly realise they would
like.  Note, I don't say NEED.)
--
Martin Wheeler       -        StarTEXT - Glastonbury - BA6 9PH - England
[1] mwheeler@startext.co.uk                   http://www.startext.co.uk/