chroot

Can anyone on this list help me to get defined users logging in to be
automatically chrooted to a restricted area in the fs?  (/home/... )

Using wu-ftpd under 2.2r2 + KDE 2.0.1 does this for ftp logins, so I
know that chroot actually does work on this system -- but all my own
attempts to trigger the call from the passwd file, or from a script
triggered by the system passwd file pointing to a restricted-area
passwd file (set suid -- which I don't care for) result in failure of
various kinds -- can't run chroot; can't find /bin/bash (which? system
or restricted area?), etc.

Have never attempted this before, and am now at the end of my
own creative solutions -- so ...
Anyone been down this path already, with a set of working instructions
for a Debian installation?  (Maybe the way I'm trying to do it -- a la
Spafford & Garfinkel "/home/gaol/" model -- is all wrong; and man chroot
isn't giving me much help, either.  Nor the FTP mini-HOWTO.)

TIA
--
Martin Wheeler       -        StarTEXT - Glastonbury - BA6 9PH - England
[1] mwheeler@startext.co.uk                   http://www.startext.co.uk/