Re: Email Accounts

On Fri, Dec 22, 2000 at 11:50:50AM -0500, Ryan Golbeck wrote:
> > > There is an easy way to setup email accounts on a debian potato box, without
> > > setting up a full shell account?  I just want to setup a few 'forward' email
> > > accounts, so that when that account receives mail it's just forwarded to
> > > another offsite account.
> >
> > If all you want is to create an address which forwards mail transparently,
> > add a line to /etc/aliases .
> >
> > If something more, get back to the list.
>
> I have started using /etc/aliases to do this and it's working nicely.
> What I'm worried about is /etc/alias getting really big because of having
> a large list of forwarding addresses.  Not this is a problem now, but in
> the future it may be.

I'm not sure what MTA you are using, but sendmail for one uses
an aliased file compiled into a hash. In this way, increasing the
size of the aliases file shouldn't greatly effect lookup times.

If you are worried about management rather than performance issues, then
you can arrange your aliases into separate files and have them
concatenated together. An aliases file for non-existent users, an
aliases file for adminastrative purpoese, an aliases file
for mailing lists etc...

Either way, problem solved.

--
Horms