Re: Deploying Reiser FS

"I. Forbes" wrote:

> Hello All
>
> I am considering deploying Reiser FS on partitions in a couple of
> our productions servers.  These servers run Debian "potato",
> currently with 2.2.17 kernels.  These systems are in production and
> running sweetly, and I would like to change as little as possible.
>
> I plan on using the partitions for "maildir" mailboxes for serving via
> Courier IMAP.  Mail will be delivered into the maildirs via exim,
> maildrop, courier imap and courier sqwebmail.  I have this running
> on ext2 at the moment but with more than a few hundred messages
> in a mailbox we get performance problems.   Hence I would like to
> try Reiser FS.
>
> I have had a look at the Reiser web site.  It seems there is a grey
> area regarding qmail, relating to the way that qmail manages its
> queue.  Will this problem apply to deliveries to "maildir" mail
> directories, using the standard maildir delivery algorithm?

No, it mostly effects qmail's queue directory. The problem exists that
qmail only say's "task done" (as in mail accepted / delivered) once it
has done a fsync (file sync) on the mail, where fsync in reiserfs only
sync's meta data (correct me if I am wrong).

> Are there any suggestion or problems for patching a debian 2.2
> kernel and building the required utilities?

Nope, not as I can see.. Create your kernel (with ReiserFS and NFS
patches) as per usual debian way...

> >From the web site it seems that it would be a good idea to avoid
> nfs mounts on the Reiser partition for the mean time.  Any
> comments on this?

There is patches for fixing this too.. NFS on Linux is bad in general,
and you should apply the latest patches from nfs.sourceforge.net as well
as mount the share with the "sync" option (Linux mounts it default
"async").

> Thanks
>
> Ian

I've been running a simular setup using ReiserFS using qmail as the MTA,
and it worked great (I have now left the company that I did it for).

/Mike

--
"eLINUX  ---  Enabling the Net Economy on Linux"
Michael Boman                   eLinux Pte Ltd