Fwd: Re: PROFTPD root login

Just agreeing that this is a big Romper Room No No. It is as bad as allowing telnet access by root.

As an aside, CuteFTP is one of the programs I read about that sends tracking information back to its advertisers telling them where you went and what you did. Unless they have changed that, be aware that your actions are being recorded and sent to third parties without your permission.

Rod

On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 09:33:31PM +0200, ?ts Attila wrote:
> I've installed PROFTPD with factory settings.
> Connecting with CuteFTP I cannot logon as root.
> What is the reason and the solution?

Reason, it's insanely insecure.

Solution, read the FAQ on http://www.proftpd.net/docs/ and
particualarly the "AllowRootLogin" directive.

--
The Flying Hamster <hamster@wibble.org>
Well not so much flying as sitting on the tube...

All computers are evil, just remember that. -- Me.

R. W. "Rod" Rodolico
Daily Data, Inc.
POB 140465 - Dallas  TX  75214-0465
214.827.2170  -- 214.821.5051 (fax)
rodo@dailydatainc.com
http://www.dailydatainc.com

Entia non sunt multiplicanda, praeter necessitatem
					William of Occam