Re: List managers

On 5 Jul 2000, at 10:47, Javier Castillo wrote:

> 	Hi there,
>
> 	I see that majordomo is non-free :(( ,
>
> 	which list manager do you recommend me?, easy to admin, fast, and of
> course, gnu :))

I'd put in another vote for listar (www.listar.org).  I've used it through
various stages of its development.  I had previously used NTmail
and its freeware predecessor on NT (hiss) and then tried
majordomo (didn't like it at all) and then smartlist (good but not
easily adapted unless you know procmail well) both under debian.
Listar has been brilliant: very active support list, open source,
superbly supportive developers, utterly solid reliability, very fast,
huge range of adaptations to all sorts of different list configurations,
good and very safe Email control.  I haven't got to the latest version
yet but that seems to have very good WWW control too.

The debs are put together by John Goerzen and they often lag way
behind the rpms the authors put out.  I don't know how alien would
handle the rpms as I _think_ the directory layout the rpm uses is
not correct for linux standards as per John's debs.  I know people
compile the open source successfully from the listar CVS
repository using John's porting guidelines.

I haven't tried any other programs just because I haven't felt I
needed to since I found listar.  I think ezlm (?) may have better
archiving and I think I've heard that mailman may have some
specific things but I forget (a) what they were, (b) whether that's
still true!

Cheers,

Chris

Chris Evans <chris@visped.org or chris@psyctc.org>
Consultant Psychiatrist in Psychotherapy,
Rampton Hospital; Associate R&D Director,
Tavistock & Portman NHS Trust;
Hon. SL Institute of Psychiatry
*** My views are my own and not representative
of those institutions ***