Re: SPAM

Moin Robert H. Clugston,

> What can I do to stop these messages from coming in. Is there anything to
> help stop the flow of unsolicited commercial e-mails?

  First of all clean up the relays, you may be running !

  Next think about use rbl_domains = rbl.maps.vix.com in /etc/exim.conf.

  Now tell your users to use filters for incoming mails. Those filter
  will check for two things: "Does the eMail come from a list I'm
  subscribed ?" and "Does it contain one of my valid adresses with
  resonable correct headers ?", if both answers are false, its probately
  spam.

  Last (if you're realy desperate) install a "Teergrube". The so called
  tar pit is abusing the dash ("-") feature SMTP uses to keep alive, to
  hold an IP connection open for ever, if it comes from a host on the
  rbl list. This will cause the spaming host to go down, as any operating
  system has a limit on open sockets.

  Try to surf around with the keywords "Teergrube" or "Tarpit" and "SMTP"
  to get some patches for sendmail.

Bye Michael
--
  mailto:kraehe@copyleft.de             UNA:+.? 'CED+2+:::Linux:2.2:14'UNZ+1'