Re: control break on sun box

On Fri, Feb 25, 2000 at 04:26:57PM -0500, Allen Ahoffman wrote:
> Hi:
> I want to set up a terminal server using a LInux box, so I can get console
> access to Sun systems.
> I want to eliminate the problem of when  a system is power cycled it sends
> out "noise" or control-break signals over the serial port.
> How do I make sure the Sun boxes won't get control breaks during power
> cycles, they reboot in that case.

Hi,

Dunno the answer from the Linux site. This is what you can do on a Sun:
First of all, they don't reboot, but get in the 'Ok' mode. Just type 'go'
if that happens, and it will save you an fs check.
The answer depends on both operating system and box.  On an E250, and
higher you can simply turn the switch to the lock mode. For Slowaris 2.6
and higher, there is an OS setting for this.  In /etc/default/kbd you have
to add the variable "KEYBOARD_ABORT=disable" and then type 'kbd -i' in
order to reread /etc/default/kbd
There is also an BIOS setting for OS'es 2.5.1 and lower.  You should never
use them. If you disable it this way, you can never send a break if your
OS won't boot (So you can't boot from cdrom or so)

HTH,

Paul.