Re: Locking Network At 100base T

On Sun, 20 Feb 2000, Wilson Tuma wrote:

> my network runs on 3com 3c905b-Tx Cards (does dual speed 10/100).  as well as 3coms superstack II dual speed hub. But I have never suceeded in making the network run at 100base T. Is there a way using debian to lock the speed of the network cards at 100base T?

Yes, if you don't set anything the dual speed net card and the hub work in
10 Mbps.
If you are using external module for the net card (3c59x.o) then you must
add and option=12 in /etc/modules (deb 2.1 stable) or where you load that
module!
If you have compiled-in kernel module then you must specify that options
in lilo.conf.

>From vortex.txt in the kernel doc.
**********************************

This document describes the usage and errata of the 3Com "Vortex" device
driver for Linux.

This driver supports the following hardware:
        3c590, 3c592, 3c595, 3c597

When loaded as a module the following variables may be set:
 name    type   description
 debug   int    The debug message level, 0 (no messages) to 6 (wordy).
 options int[]  The media type override and card operation settings
                (See list below.)

An example of loading the vortex module is
        insmod 3c59x.o debug=1 options=0,,12
This sets the debug message level to minimal messages, sets the first card
the 10baseT transceiver, the second to the EEPROM-set transceiver, and the
third card to operate in full-duplex mode using its 100baseTx transceiver.
(Note: card ordering is set by the PCI BIOS.)

Possible media type settings
        0       10baseT
        1       10Mbs AUI
        2       undefined
        3       10base2 (BNC)
        4       100base-TX
        5       100base-FX
        6       MII (not yet available)
        7       <Use default setting>

        8       Full-duplex bit
                8 10baseT full-duplex
                12 100baseTx full-duplex
        16      Bus-master enable bit (experimental use only!)

Details of the device driver implementation are at the top of the source
file.

Hope this help

Bye