IP-Masq

I've searched high and low but I can't find a str8 forward instructions on how to do the
following:

Users dialin to my linux system
Linux system is on an internet LAN which connects to the internet via nat.
Incoming connections on the linux box need to accept the internet.

PPP connects fine and users can ping anything on the office LAN  including the
gateway to the internet. However users cannot ping anything on the internet.

On suse I compiled IPv4 into the kernel and it works fine, debian however does not.
I have done modconf and the ip_masq modules are loaded (says "unused next to
them however")

The problem appears to be one of routing, we leads me back to IP_masq.

I can see the problem seems to relate to the subnetmask given to the dialin
user.Since if I set up a similar system on Winoze NT, the dialin user gets an the
following ip config:

local ip:  		210.x.x.221
subnet mask  	255.255.255.240
default route		210.x.x.209

The works fine, but debian give me this:

local ip:  		210.x.x.221
subnet mask  	255.255.255.255
default route		210.x.x.209

So I guess the problem is the subnet mask the however I did set netmask
255.255.255.240 in /ppp/options so I don't know why the clients are getting a
different mask.

Any hints would be great.

TIA

Richard