chroot -- success!

3 brandies, 6 coffees, one extra helping of Christmas thud-pud
... and voila ...
done it!

Err ... it helps to read the pam documentation.

[login and passwd entries in /etc/pam.d should match, for password]
NOTE: this almost certainly nullifies the advantages given by pam; but
if that's what the punter wants, who am I to quibble?

Thanks for all help and moral support -- sorry I can't share the brandy
& thud-pud.
--
Martin Wheeler       -        StarTEXT - Glastonbury - BA6 9PH - England
[1] mwheeler@startext.co.uk                   http://www.startext.co.uk/