Re: SQL & ISP Accountancy Package

On Fri, 24 Nov 2000, Robert Davidson wrote:

> Hi People,
>
> I'm just wondering something about SQL.  I maintain an accountancy
> package for ISPs that still use dialup modems and the ones who allow
> shell logins.
>
> The package keeps track of data downloaded/uploaded, subscription
> expirys, idle limits, user process cpu load, time limits, subscription
> expiry notices and so on.
>
> I want to know if I should be using SQL.  I've had a few people ask me
> for it in the last year or so, but I havn't been very keen to implement
> it because I only see SQL slowing it down, causing more network
> traffic, cpu load, etc.
>
> What I really want to know is if SQL would be a good idea, and why, I
> need some good points to SQL to get the enthusiasm up to actually do
> it.  I think I want to do it, but I'm not sure if SQL is going to be
> all that great.
>
> Also, does anyone know where I could find a *free* guide to writing sql
> programs, and efficient sql commands or whatever?
>
> If anyone's interested, the url for the package I'm talking about
> is http://acua.ebbs.com.au
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Robert Davidson.

I run an accounting system for traffic here that logs about 3000 lines
every 5 minutes to an MySQL server.. I could just as well write it to a
file I guess, but when it later comes to sorting and sifting through those
amounts of data that generates during 24 hours it quickly becomes another
matter.. Not to talk about sifting throught a whole months worth of data.

It's also very handy when you want several different programs spread out
over a whole network to work together with the data.

As for 'SQL' there is lots of different 'dialects' abound. Pick a server
you like, and learn that.. I'd recommend MySQL, as it is very spread and
pretty simple to set up. It lacks some features, but overall I think it's
nice to work with.

Regards
Roger Abrahamsson

Roger Abrahamsson, Sys/Net Admin, Obbit AB
Radhusespl.17D, S-90328 Umea, Sweden