Re: RAID 5

On 2000-11-22 16:43, Matt Fair wrote:
>I have 3 10 gig hard rives.  There is nothing on any system, would I
>create a small partition on one of the drives (for example 100 - 200 meg
>
>Linux partition) to set everything up and use the source to recompile
>the kernel?  Or do I just go ahead and set up my regular partitions and
>then recompile a kernel with raid 5 support?  I am just confused with
>the first few steps I should take.  Right now I have a CD with potato.

I suggest that you create a small partition at the end of the drive for this
purpose and then copy all the data to the new /dev/md0 which will be the new
root file system when everything is working.  This is what I did.

The real solution of course is to create new boot disks that support creating
MD devices.  It's something I would do if I had a lot more spare time...