Re: How do I start | stop a daemon under debian

startup daemons are set up as follows:

(usually) a script is created in /etc/init.d. As an example, MySQL is
controlled by the script /etc/init.d/mysql

A soft link is created from the run level directory that you want to
start the daemon. These directories are /etc/rc0.d through /etc/rc6.d.
There is also rcS.d. By convention, the link is named 'S' or 'K'
(depending upon whether you are starting or killing the daemon)
followed by a two digit number, followed by the name of the script
in /etc/init.d. During the boot up process, these are processed in
ASCII sort order, ie all ones beginning with a 'K' are processed first,
in order of the two digit numbers after it.

For example, you might create links in rc2.d, rc3.d, rc4.d and rc5.d to
start MySQL. The following lines would do so:

ln -s /etc/init.d/mysql /etc/rc2.d/S20mysql
ln -s /etc/init.d/mysql /etc/rc3.d/S20mysql
ln -s /etc/init.d/mysql /etc/rc4.d/S20mysql
ln -s /etc/init.d/mysql /etc/rc5.d/S20mysql

which would start MySQL whenever you entered those run levels. Since
you want MySQL to shut down before the computer is shut off, you would
add a "Kill" script to the appropriate run levels as follows:

ln -s /etc/init.d/mysql /etc/rc0.d/K20mysql
ln -s /etc/init.d/mysql /etc/rc1.d/K20mysql
ln -s /etc/init.d/mysql /etc/rc6.d/K20mysql

for a discussion of run levels, see the man page on init, ie type "man
init" at the command line.

Anyway, the scripts in init.d accept a parameter whose value tells the
script what to do. The minimum should be to accept "start" and "stop"
as parameters. Any link starting with a "K" calls the script
with "stop", any link starting "S" callsthe script with a "start."

That's how it works. To answer your question, simply remove the links
from the rc?.d directory. Or, to temporarily disable a script, I will
sometimes create a dummy script and save the original one. Such as:

mv /etc/init.d/mysql /etc/init.d/mysql.original
echo #! /bin/bash > /etc/init.d/mysql
chmod 777 /etc/init.d/mysql

in effect creating an empty script to be executed. Then, if I want
MySQL back, I simply mv /etc/init.d/mysql.original /etc/init.d/mysql
and it runs like it originally did.

BTW, I'm not 100% on the run levels, but this explaination has worked
for me so far.

Rod

> How do I start | stop a daemon under debian ? I have Debian 2.2
Potato. I