Re: Problems with my HD

On Sun, May 28, 2000 at 11:08:18PM -0300, Helber wrote:
> I´m having some phisical problems with my hard drive.
> How do I transfer all my data  from a hd to another.

I've done this using "tar cvp * > outputfile" and then extracting the archive
to the new, mounted drive.  You'll need some temporary space, so I usually
just put the outputfile on the new mount.

> Is there a way to work with two hard drives, something like master and slave, but the slave been a mirror of the master?

Temporarily, or as a permanent solution?  Temporarily you can just prepare
the new drive with the same partitioning scheme (size not usually important)
and mount each one, then extract your tarballs to the new targets.  For a
permanent setup, you can use software RAID mirroring.  I have experience with
hardware RAID, but not software driven.  There's a howto.

> Just to increase security, if the master fails the slave could substitute  the master.

That would be raid level 1 (mirroring).

--
Kevin Blackham                                               801-539-0852
Senior Tech, XMission Internet                               877-XMISSION