Re: Debian vs Red Hat??? I need info.

On Sun, May 21, 2000 at 07:46:47PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> i think dlocate really takes care of the problem nicely, for things
> like status and file lists dlocate is quite fast. its unfortunate that
> it was removed from potato for a *ONE LINE BUG* with a fix in the
> bts... why oh why could there not have been an NMU??

i wasn't even aware that it was removed from potato until i tried to
install dlocate on a potato system with apt-get a week or so ago.

this is the second of my packages that have been removed for trivial
reasons. i gave up on potato after the first one...at the time, i
offered to upload a version which fixed a minor packaging error (i
forgot to specify "frozen" as well as "unstable") but i didn't get a
reply until after the deadline and the answer was basically "haha! too
late!" - this does not exactly inspire enthusiasm in me.

for that reason (amongst others, like the fact that potato is already
obsolete and will be even more obsolete by the time it gets released), i
do not give a damn about potato.

the bug isn't, IMO, even in dlocate. it is in the slocate package.
slocate should NOT replace GNU locate if it is not 100% compatible with
it.

but, as i said, i don't care. i don't have the time or the energy to
argue with a release manager whose goal seems to be to find excuses to
remove packages from the distribution.  IMO, the "stable" should be
treated as a fork, anyway.

craig

--
craig sanders