RE: Mass install / Autoinstall (Was: Re: Debian vs Red Hat??? I need info.)

Long time ago in the past 'wagnerc@plebeian.com
[mailto:wagnerc@plebeian.com]' wrote

>> copy everything from the master drive to the copy, then run the
>> appropriate Lilo command to make that copy bootable.  You can then
>> mount it in another machine and it's ready to go.  You have to filter
>> some things out when you copy.  See below.
>
>You can't do that, I've tried it before.  Lilo can't be installed on any
>secondary disk.  Don't ask me why because I don't know.  There's a HOWTO
>about it.

------------------

Hi to * !

( First of all, sorry for my english :)

IMHO LILO can be installed on secondary disks ( and on the first sector of a
bootable partition also ). Let me explain myself:

I have 2 HDD at home, one ( /dev/hda ) with M$ Win 95 & WinNT 'PlayStation'
( Job reasons :o( ) and the other ( /dev/hdc ) with Debian "Hamm" ( 'So old'
I know ;oD I'm try to upgrade but... unfortunately 'time is no friend of
mine' :(  ).

I use (Commercial SW) V Communications' System Commander (
http://www.v-com.com/ ) to boot my machine with Linux and (gasp!) with M$
Win XX, and it works fine for me!

LILO was installed on MBR of the secondary disk ( /dev/hdc ), it shows an
alert 'LILO is not installed on primary disk' or something like that... but
it runs ;)

Try to add these lines  ( don't remember exactly, I'm at the office right
now ) to your /etc/lilo.conf:

boot=/dev/hdc	# my 2nd HDD
image=/boot/vmlinuz
	label=linux
	root=/dev/hdc1	# or whatever your partition is ;o)
	read-only

I'm no Linux guru, so please correct me if I've misunderstood you or I'm
wrong with anything.

Regards from Spain, Santy #;oD