Re: Debian vs Red Hat??? I need info.

On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 09:29:03PM -0400, Jeremy Hansen wrote:
> Can I ask why debian doesn't include pine?  Just curious.

because it's a violation of pine's license to distribute modified
binaries.

pine is non-free.

debian distributes a pine-src package (in non-free) which contains the
pine source code plus debian patches plus a script to auto-build. at
least, we used to...haven't bothered with pine for ages because mutt is
so much better (and free).

> I know Debian has a very strict rule base on the packages it includes
> but every distro I have even installed always included pine and I was
> just wondering the reason behind not doing that with Debian.

the fact that just about every other distribution is willing to violate the
licensing terms for pine is no reason for debian to do the same.

craig

--
craig sanders