Re: Debian vs Red Hat??? I need info.

On Thu, 18 May 2000, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Chip Salzenberg wrote:
> > Actually, from what I've been told, rpm has at least one serious
> > technical flaw: The order of execution for pre-install and
> > post-install scripts is nonsensical for upgrades.
>
> I wouldn't call it nonsensical, but the way dpkg does it is definitely
> more robust. I need to take another close look at how rpm and dpkg
> differ in this respect anyway, so if people are interested in the little
> details I might be willing to write a little comparison about it..
>
> Wichert.

I, for one, would be very interested in this comparison. My company has
started using Linux in a pretty big way, kind of at my instigation.
Because I was the only Linux guy, we used Debian of course :). But because
a lot of my colleagues were new to Linux and found the Debian install to
be much less "slick" than Red Hat, I was under attack as to my choice. A
lot of what makes Debian cool is appreciated only after some time with it.