From: "JoeCool" <joecool@csnet.net>
To: <debian-isp@lists.debian.org>;
<debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Cc: <joecool@csnet.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2000 10:18 AM
Subject: Tape Backup Problem

Hi All,

I've been trying to get tape backup working on a server and
almost everytime
I attempt to backup files to the tape drive the machine goes
crazy.  The
load goes sky high (way over 100.00) and it stops responding
to everything.
Maybe someone out there has some insight on the problem.

Specs:
Debian 2.0 with Kernel 2.2.2 running on a Dell with
a Quantum DLT4000 tape drive.

Details:
I attempted to do a test backup a 150meg directory to tape
using the tape
backup program "Taper"  After about 10min of it running (46%
done) the
machines load starting going up and up.  I tried to stop the
program, and
kill it but was unable to since machine stop responding to
my commands via
telnet.  The load was very high... --> load average: 246.98,
267.86, 210.28
Then i couldn't even telnet to the machine or anything.
Everything appeared
to be down, except that I could ping the machine.
Finally about 30min later I was able to telnet back into the
machine.

I noticed several of the following messages in the messages
file and also
when i typed "dmesg"
--
May  3 14:23:23 taz kernel: SCSI host 0 abort (pid
228089503) timed out -

So a week later I attempted again with tape backup using a
different
program.  this time i used "Tob".
I did a small test backup using a 20meg directory.  It
appeared to work
fine.  I was able to backup and restore the files.
I then attempted to backup a 2gig directory.
After about 15min the machine went crazy like last time and
load went up and
I got locked out so I had to have someone reboot the
machine.
Didn't see any error messages in any logs or anything.

Anyone ever expierance this problem?
Anyone have any ideas what might be causing it?
I been trying to figure it out for a couple weeks now with
no luck.
Any help is appreciated.

TIA
-Joe