Re: can apache log to MySQL ?

On Sun, May 14, 2000 at 11:39:10PM +0200, Russell Coker wrote:

> My personal web server is lightly loaded (20MB transferred in a busy
> week).  But it takes several hours to do all the DNS lookups.  I once
> had a power failure during this time which caused my stats to be
> skipped with was a real PITA.  Doing it through a database could solve
> this (amoung many other things).

have a look at jdresolve. i packaged it for debian some time ago. it's
a much faster logresolve program (written in perl), which does multiple
queries at a time and optionally caches results in a timestamped
text-file database.

i found that the query cache is a win when it's small, but actually
slows things down when it's large. a properly indexed database wouldn't
suffer the same problem, but i doubt whether it's as big a win as just
adding more memory to your DNS server so it can cache more.

> Then if the web page stats were all in a database there would be lots
> of cool options like "click on one of the top URLs of the week for a
> graph of how popular it was in all previous weeks".

this would be fine on a lightly hit site, but would be extremely slow
on large sites that get millions of hits per day....queries that search
millions of records take time, no matter how fast the db is and no
matter how well indexed it is. whether it's worth it depends on how
valuable that ability is.

craig

--
craig sanders