RE: Installing Debian on a RAIDed partition

On Tue, 9 May 2000, Robert H. Clugston wrote:

>Whatever.. here's the instructions on how to load a raid partition as
>root...
>
>http://www.linux.org/help/ldp/howto/Root-RAID-HOWTO.html
>

>Yes. You cannot boot to a raid partition. One, lilo cant read a RAID
>partition, and the 'raid' drivers havent been loaded yet. You will either
>need to have the / or more specifically /boot be on a NON raid partition
>(ie. floppy) or compile special tools to boot raid partitions. Someone has
>developed info on that, but the address escapes me now, search the web and
>it should turn up.
>
>The RAID howto|mini howto should be of assistance.

Whatever...???

What part of my statement does not make sense to you?

How about:

"or compile special tools to boot raid partitions. Someone has
 developed info on that, but the address escapes me now, search the web
and it should turn up."

In other words. It's not possible to simply compile in raid support and
setup the device and then boot off of it right out of the box. It takes
work, kernel patches, kernel support, among other things.

__  __ \ __ \  __/_  __ `__ \/ __  /_  ___/ MDC Computers/netMDC!
_  / / / `__/ /_  / / / / / / /_/ / / /__ (505)437-7600/fax-437-3052
 12:10pm  up 105 days, 19:07,  6 users,  load average: 0.27, 0.48, 0.38