Frozen Messages (Exim)

I installed Exim on a spare server of ours (Debian/Sparc) to act as a
secondary MX for all of the domains we host.  It worked like a charm from
the moment I installed it with one small problem.

There are getting to be a lot of messages in the queue that shouldn't be
there.  There are messages in the queue that are 45 days old.  I haven't
changed the default configuration which is supposed to fail messages after
4 days from what I understand:

*                      *           F,2h,15m; G,16h,2h,1.5; F,4d,8h

The messages (when running mailq) are all labelled as "frozen".  What does
this mean and why aren't the messages simply failing with a bounce as most
would and should?

Thanks,

Fraser