Re: Easier administration (similar to Linuxconf)

Hello All

On 29 Mar 00, at 16:20, Smoerk wrote:

> > You know the "web-enabled" administration software used by Colbat servers?
> > I was wondering if anything for Linux (and hopefully debanized) was
> > similar?
>
> Maybe Webmin (www.webmin.com)?
> But why don't you write some scripts, which setup a default
> configuration? A config tool is not faster than doing the same in the
> config files. It's easier, but not faster.

I have also been thinking about this problem for a while. Specifically
I would like an interface to allow the following.

Users to do things like:

- change passwords
- change their ".forward" file settings.

And a semi privileged non-root administrator to:

- add and delete users
- change other users passwords (but not root password)
- view other users's mail
- edit /etc/aliases

I have looked at linux.conf and webmin.  Linux.conf seems to be an
overkill and too experimental (especially on Debian) to let loose on
semi-skilled admins.  Webmin seemed to climb in and edit files
without any regard for standard system tools. I had a look at the
coding of an early version and decided to leave it.  It may be better
by now.

My idea was to find or write simple console based, but menu driven
tools for doing these tasks.  These could be accessed from the
linux console, telnet, xterm or from a web page via the java telnet
client.

It has the major advantage over linux.conf and webmin in that
everything that runs on the linux box runs under the users own uid
which is much simpler to secure than anything that works off a www
interface and runs suid root.

Has anybody got any console based, menu driven scripts to start
with?

Ian Forbes ZSD
http://www.zsd.co.za
Office: +27 +21 683-1388  Fax: +27 +21 64-1106
Snail Mail: P.O. Box 46827, Glosderry, 7702, South Africa