Firewalling

I'm not really sure if I should post this to the isp list or this one, but
anyway.  I work for a fairly small isp and the management told me they want
me to put some sort of firewall in front of the router.  Actually their
first idea was a firewall in front of the router, then one behind the
router, then to the servers.  I'm curious what kind of effect having a
firewalled router will have on the dialup customers as well as certain
servers like a shell provider.  Also what would I firewall from the router.
I don't want to really restrict any ports for end dialup users as I've had
personal experience with this, and it can be a pain.  Any ideas, comments,
or short poems about how great I am would be greatly appreciated.