Re: Writing to the root directory of disk partitions

On Thu, Mar 16, 2000 at 02:16:33PM +0100, Wilson Tuma wrote:
> Hi list
>
> On a new mail server I place the   /var/log/spool/mail   on a different
> partition /dev/hda7
>
> The command that mounts this valume is
>
>   mount -t ext2 /dev/hda2 /var/log/spool/mail in  the file
> /etc/rc2.d/S99rmnologin
>
> The problem I have is send mail can seem to be able to write to
> /var/log/spool/mail/
>
> Could this have any thing do  with the lost&found directory  on the root  of
> the new partion? Or is there something else I am leaving out.

Make sure you

chown root.mail /var/spool/mail
chmod 2775 /var/spool/mail

AFTER the partition is mounted. It is not sufficent to chmod/chown the mount
directory when the partition is unmounted.

also, mounting /var/spool/mail in /etc/rc2.d/S99rmnologin is probably not a
good idea. All filesystems should be mounted before the services are
activated. Imagine the MTA stores some mail in the directory before the
partition is mounted - the messages become invisible! You should probably
make a proper entry in /etc/fstab to let this mount automatically in
appropiate stage of system startup.

regards
Marcin

--