pppd

I've recently got my modem to dial into my ISP using minicom, but when
I try to use pppd all I can do is dial in and send my username and
password, which is accepted but then I get disconnected.  I get the
following error message on my xconsole:
pppd[xxx] error: Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean
pppd[xxx] error: Problem: all had bit-7 set to 0.

I don't think this is a problem on my ISPs end as minicom connects fine,
but I want to use ppp so that I can do more than just check my email.  Any
suggests or help would be greatly appreciated! (ISP knows nothing about
dialing in using linux, so they are no help)

Thanks,
Jason