Re: bean counters

On Sat, 11 Mar 100, Allen Ahoffman wrote:

 > Is there anyone outthere selling a Debian based box that will:
 > allow complete real time ip stats for several inside hosts.
 > e.g.
 > one linux box where all the data goes thru and it presents me with
 > incoming and outgoing traffic use by bytes for each ip?
 > I don't want it to filter packets, reroute packets, or anything, just
 > count everything.

take a look at ``ipmeter'' (freshmeat appindex is the place), can do
anything you just described... however, readme says:

Things to consider when installing IPmeter on Linux machines:

The Linux kernel design does not encourage packet capture -
its ressource consumption when capturing is extremely high, and
packet losses at that level are silent.

This means, Linux distributions built on top of a standard kernel
can not reliably capture packets at the rate required for heavy duty
RTFM in a professional setting. It probably will be good enough
for SOHO use on a ISDN dialup line, or for capturing a subset of
packets, but when monitoring all traffic on a commercial grade
line, you will likely lose a substantial amount of traffic without
ever seeing any alerts!

We experienced significant data losses in heavily used 2Mbit
networks, and cannot recommend stock Linux as a RTFM platform.

See:
http://www.nfr.net/nfr/mail-archive/nfr-users/1999/Feb/0110.html
for a discussion of details.

To summarize: Linux machines will do fine as a database and
application server in distributed IPmeter environments, and ought
to be up to small home (POTS/modem or ISDN connected) networks,
but for any commercial grade leased line, you should seriously
consider running the RTFM side of IPmeter on FreeBSD or a com-
mercial Unix.

well this does not indicate kernel versions or any more specific
info.. go figure, but he is likely to be right.

--
[-]
kazmer at any cost !