Re: apache sys_auth_module on slink

Hello All

This is an update on my previous posting:

> Is anybody using Apache "sys_auth_module" on debian slink?

Firstly this is an Apache module called mod_auth_sys.so, it is
supposed to authenticate from the system files.  It is not the
standard mod_auth authentication module.

Secondly it is broken, as least as far as it occurs in this *.deb file:

> I have installed it from the package libapache_mod_auth_sys
> version 1.10-4.1 deb file.

I downloaded the source file for that *.deb and recompiled it.  It
contains a source file mod_auth_sys.c.  I tried editing the line that
reads:

/* If you use Shadowed Password-Files you should set
 * the Constant: SHADOW_PASSWORDS to 1
 */
#define SHADOW_PASSWORDS        1

and I changed it to

#define SHADOW_PASSWORDS        0

and I recompiled with dpkg-buildpackage, and installed the
resulting *.deb file.

I ran "shadowconfig off" to switch off shadow passwords, and the
module works!

If I run "shadowconfig on" it fails and logs an error message

> [Wed Jan 12 14:10:46 2000] [error] user ian password mismatch:
/~ian

If I recompile with

#define SHADOW_PASSWORDS        1

it fails with the error

> [Wed Jan 12 14:10:46 2000] [error] user ian not found: /~ian

irrespective of whether I run "shadowconfig on" or "shadowconfig
off".

The trouble is I don't want to run without shadow passwords, and I
don't know enough about how Debian handles shadow passwords,
and in particular the functions getpwnam and getspnam, (or enough
about C in fact) to fix this.  Can anybody help?

Thanks

Ian

Ian Forbes ZSD
http://www.zsd.co.za
Office: +27 +21 683-1388  Fax: +27 +21 64-1106
Snail Mail: P.O. Box 46827, Glosderry, 7702, South Africa