measure disk I/O & use SCSI or IDE?

We're planning on replacing some older servers with saturated CPU's,
by brand new machines. I'm kind of worried about the "winning the
previous war" syndrome, in that we may eliminate the CPU bottleneck
only to find out we're running into disk I/O performance problems
within some months.

1. Is there a way to measure I/O load? So we can obtain some useful
actual usage data.

2. We're currently running IDE spindles and are planning to install
IDE RAID-1 arrays on the new machines. Both SCSI and RAID-5 seem to be
too fragile for the remote management colocating environment these
machines will be placed into. I'd like to solicit some opinions on
performance/reliability tradeoffs involved here, so.... <putting on
his asbestos suit> ... go ahead ;-).

:*CU#
--
***    Guido A.J. Stevens      ***    mailto:gyst@nfg.nl    ***
***    Net Facilities Group    ***    tel:+31.43.3618933    ***

Perhaps the deeper one probes and the greater one's commitment
to, and dependence on, information technology, the more resistant
one may become to its essence.      [ISBN 0-262-03228-7, p.315]