Re: Weirdness with vi

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Don Hatch wrote:

The way to solve this type of problem is:
strace vi foo

Then look at the last few lines before the error and it should show some file
open or stat() failing, then you just look into what permissions need to be
fixed.

Strace is often the first thing to do to solve such problems quickly.  Ltrace
is often the second.  ;)

>I've never seen this one before so I would really appreciate any help I can
get.  My users can't seem to be able to get vi to work.  If I use it as root
it works but when run as a user I get this error: > >ex/vi: Error: Log file:
Permission denied >