Perl script into database method?

Gang,

	I'm trying to develop an online ordering system that will allow a
customer to select from the 110,000 parts offered by our primary vendor.
In doing so, my initial attempts (using a flat file) take twenty seconds
for a perl script to search through on an unloaded machine, tearing up CPU
as it goes.  Obviously, the next step is to migrate to an indexed database
for speed and efficiency (or maybe it isn't - I'm open to suggestions).

	I'm most comfortable scripting in Perl (which isn't to say that
I'm super comfortable, but...), so I'd like to be able to plug into the
database directly from Perl.  Assuming a Debian 2.0 system (I haven't
finished my testing and preparation for an upgrade to Debian 2.1), what
choices do I have, if any?

Pete

--
Peter J. Templin, Jr., CCNA
Systems and Networks Administrator

On-Line Internet Services - URDirect.net
A division of Global On-Line Computers
2414 Babcock Rd. Suite 106		templin@urdirect.net
San Antonio, TX 78229			(210)692-9911