Re: Log Files

On Wed, Dec 29, 1999 at 05:41:06PM -0500, Will Lowe wrote:
> > I want to centralize all the logs the server generates onto the workstation,
> > and use a program that will go through these logs and report connection
> > attempts and other activity of that sort.
>
> Syslog does this for you, if you specify a host with the @ :
>
> daemon.* 					@loghost
>
> Will send all of the daemon logs to the "loghost" machine.  "man
> syslog.conf" for more.
>
> For scanners, perl and grep seem to work best.

Be careful with the above usage - The loghost should be DNS Resolvable
without the availability of the local bind ... Otherwise the system wont
boot anymore as the syslogd locks hard.

Put it into /etc/hosts or use an ip address ...

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff		flo@rfc822.org		      	+49-5241-470566
  ...  The failure can be random; however, when it does occur, it is