Re: Sendmail: auto-reply

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Sis wrote:
>On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Russell Coker wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Iñaki Martínez wrote:
>> >Kaixo!!!
>> >
>> > I need when a e-mail arrives to an account, automagically sendmail sends a
>> >mail to the sender of that mail with a text (always the same text).
>> >
>> >How do i made this???
>> >
>> > Using alias????
>> > Using .forward?????
>>
>> Put the following into the .procmailrc for the user.  Note that it comes from
>> the procmailex man page...
>
>   Does your reply mean that you don't know how to do it with only
>sendmail without procmail or there is no way to do it with just sendmail
>without procmail also getting involved?

1)  I don't know how to do it without procmail.
2)  I don't think that there's any real benefit in avoiding procmail.
3)  If you use procmail then when you cease using Sendmail and start using a
better mail server such as Postfix or Qmail then you'll be able to keep doing
this in the same way.
4)  Procmail gives many other benefits such as the ability to avoid duplicate
messages and delivery to Maildir.

--
The ultimate result is that some innovations that would truly benefit
consumers never occur for the sole reason that they do not coincide with