Re: WTF is up with apache?!

>  > So what would be the point of aliasing the cgi dir out of public space? It
>  > make sense to me to put cgi out of the reach of a index call. Any way. i
>
> you still don't get it :) it's not about aliasing cgidir out of public
> space (it's the way i do it, it was the way i did it in my example,
> does not matter, Options -Indexes if you feel better that way).

Actually I do get it. And your right, that is a better way. That is what
the .htaccess files are for.

> -- read this carefully
>
> it's about suexec not letting you having the virtualhost's root
> directory out of the main server root directory
>
> -- stop here and parse :)

Right, but Now I would need to explain to 300 very unhappy and hopefully
still paying customers that the previuos admin (I've only been working for
this group about 2 months) was an idiot and that although they have been
doing things this way for years (with other upgrades) now they HAVE to do
it the right way. Not to metion that I would have to rewrite all the
administrative stuff by tomarrow to keep things working. This was easier.
I will write the admin stuff now and (thank god for proftp) trick the
lusers into doing it my way.

>  > may just strip the crap out of it.
>
> why have suexec then ? you're loosing everything what it provides...

Again the only problem was the cgi out of docroot. Need to keep some files
writable and shure would hate to make them 666. You know the mark of the
beast :) Last admin lost his job for that.

Thanks for the help. Virt Beers to you.