Re: Moving from BSDi

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 10:49:42AM -0500, Scott St. John wrote:
> I have several BSDi and FreeBSD servers here that are beyond repair
> and I had planned to move them to Linux by now, but I am running into
> a few problems and wanted to run them by the crew here for some
> thoughts.  Please note, I am new to Debian, I was using Mandrake and
> Red Hat, but discovered "very odd" behavior in them so I built a
> Debian box and in my tests it blew the pants off every one else.

this is excellent news for everyone who needs a pantless server :-)

> First, does anyone know of a way to export the user accounts on BSDi
> and import them into a Debian box?  I have close to 5,000 accounts I
> need to bring over.

i presume that the reason you don't just copy the passwd file is that
BSDi is using shadow passwords?

you should be able to do something like:

1. (on BSDi), run pwunconv to convert to non-shadowed passwd file

2. copy that to /tmp on the debian box

3. merge it with the debian box's /etc/passwd
   be careful of UID conflicts.
   debian starts user accounts at UID 1000
   other unix clones may start them at 100 or 500.

   if you renumber an account remember to chown their files (incl.
   mailbox) to the new UID.

4. run pwconv to convert to shadowed passwords.

> Second, of the ISP's on this list, what are you using Debian for?
> Everything?  DNS, Mail, web?  I am running an ISP now and am seriously
> considering looking Debian to be my new work horse after a sad display
> of performance of the above mentioned.

everything.

i wouldn't (voluntarily) use anything else.

actually, i still have a few solaris boxes, but they're considered
legacy machines (i.e. they'll keep running as they are until they die or
until we switch them over to debian).  for the last few years, all our
new servers have been debian.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>