Re: What if the Internet would be IPv6-only tomorrow

Alexander Koeppe <format_c@online.de> writes:

> 1. GitHub doesn't work at all.

I did a presentation at the last RIPE meeting:

https://ripe76.ripe.net/wp-content/uploads/presentations/146-we_dont_need_ipv6.pdf

It rather sad.

> 8. eBay no IPv6

ebay-kleinanzeigen.de has IPv6 since June 5th 2012. Not everything will
work because they use an eBay CDN in the backfround.

> 11. No Online-banking (in Germany) since no IPv6

Mine has. but they break PMTU discovery.

https://ripe74.ripe.net/presentations/3-That-is-why-Rabobank-has-IPv6.pdf

(Link is currently broken)

> So in essence, and in that early stage of the experiment I conclude that
> I wouldn't be able to get far in a IPv6-only tomorrow.

Yes. And not much is changing on the content side. And people setting up
new (wireless) access networks and ignoring IPv6 completely.

> Meanwhile, all Internet Service providers implicitely provide even the
> cheapest customer a IPv6 connectivity, but applications folks seem to be
> blind on the IPv6-eye.

Yes. And complaining doesn't help. I think that twitter support not
answering my question about IPv6 support is the most honest answer I
got. I tried to update my RIPE presentation an came up with an empty
slide.

> Therefore I'm calling out here to get suggestions what would be good
> places to place a wake-up call for the website-, sever- and applications
> operators so that they get the understanding the networking community
> got to forward to their management levels to make them aware.

They will not care. You may get a lot of promises but no IPv6. I've
given up. Don't let me start about universiies.

There are some exceptions, at least on German car manufacturer is
seriously working on this.

I guess we have to wait two or three versions of Windows an MS will make
IPv4 an additional feature which you have to pay for. ;-)

Jens
| Foelderichstr. 40   | 13595 Berlin, Germany           | +49-151-18721264 |
| http://blog.quux.de | jabber: jenslink@quux.de        | ---------------  |