Re: bad interaction between privacy extensions, prefix lifetimes and protocols that maintain long-term connections.

On 10/01/17 07:34, Henri Wahl wrote:
Hi Peter,

maybe our DHCPv6 server dhcpy6d helps you out - it allows to give
clients random addresses as they were pricacy extended. Have a look at
https://dhcpy6d.ifw-dresden.de.
I am a guy who understands networks, I can figure out local workarounds to my problems.

The problem is that when someone plugs an out of the box Debian system (and likely many other Linux distributions too) into a Sky broadband router (one of the largest ISPs in the UK) they will end up with TCP connections that drop once an hour for no obvious reason.

This is going to lead to frustrated users, some won't know what to blame and will just think their connection and/or OS is shit. Some will realize it's IPv6 related but won't figure out the details beyond that and will disable IPv6 in disgust.

I don't know about you but as someone who cares about the future of the Internet the last thing I want to see is users disabling IPv6 in disgust.

Sky certainly deserve some of the blame for setting such short timeouts in their RAs, but Linux also deserves some of the blame for an implementation of privacy extensions that does not seem to update the lifetimes of those addresses, even when they are in active use by applications.
Regards
Henri