Re: Questions on IPv6 stateless autoconfiguration

Jan Lühr <ff@jluehr.de> wrote:
    > Consider three Debian servers (A,R1,R2) and two networks.
    > A is connected to both networks using different NICs.
    > R1 is a router in network 1, while R2 is a router in network 2. Both
    > provide IPv6 connectivity using radvd / stateless auto configuration).

Many of these questions are open standards questions: see IETF mif and IETF
homenet WGs.

    > Assuming, that R1, R2 announce global prefixes:
    -> Are both of them installed in A's routing table as default routers
    > using their link local address? - Or - can radvd be configured to
    > provide stateless auto configuration for global prefixes without being
    > considered as a default router? If later, how? Does it change when using
    > ULA addresses?

I'm not sure that I understand thequestion.

    -> What happens, if A fires up a web browser trying to reach
    > http://ipv6.google.com. Afaik A's sender address is chosen randomly,
    > using either R1's or R2's network. Is the corresponding router used,
    > accordingly - or - may it occur, that R1 is used in conjunction with an
    > IPv6 address from R2's network? If later: How can I force A to use the
    > corresponding router?

It ought to be configured this way by default, but you need policy based
routing using "ip rule from.. table ..."

    > Assuming, R1 crashes. Does A detect this? Is R1's default route removed
    > from the routing table, then?

Yes... the route becomes unreachable, and expires.

    > Assuming, that R1 is a wifi hotspot router, and R2 a vpn endpoint
    > (OpenVPN, tap, tls-server).
    -> How can I force the client to use the VPN whenever possible, while
    > using the hotspot network for reaching the VPN-endpoint while using the
    > sender addresses accordingly?

ip rule, ip route add; there isn't a way to do this automatically... yet.
See MIF/HOMENET problem statements.